If you want to cash in on the real estate related tax perks of buying this year, you need to be sure you've got these five documents on hand.
1. Mortgage Interest Statement IRS Form 1098 The meatiest real estate tax deduction on the books today allows you to deduct 100 percent of the mortgage interest you paid during the tax year. To get this deduction, keep an eye on your mail for Form 1098 from your mortgage lender. This reports how much of that interest you paid.
2. Uniform Settlement Statement (HUD-1) If you purchased recently, right after closing you should have received your HUD-1 Settlement Statement. The date on this form is invaluable during tax time. It details prepaid interest, prorated property taxes, and other potentially deductible fees.
3. Moving Expense Receipts Moving expenses are tax deductible if you move is closely related to the start of a new job. The rule of thumb: if you moved more than 50 miles to be closer to your new workplace, you could be eligible. Consult your tax pro for details on this credit and be sure to bring your moving receipts.
4. Receipts from energy efficient home appliances & improvements. Under the Non-business Energy Tax Credit, homeowners who make qualifying energy efficient upgrades can claim tax credits. If you've recently installed energy efficient improvements such as insulation, new windows, or other energy savers, you may be able to deduct 10% of their cost.
5. Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) Homeowners who've purchased in the last few years using a Mortgage Credit Certificate may be entitled to a pretty hefty tax credit. MCCs apply as long as you live in the home and pay a mortgage on it. But, they only apply to defray taxes you actually owe- you can't use them to get a refund. If you have one, the MCC is a must-have as you start your tax prep.
More Tax- Saving Documents: 1. Property Tax Statements 2. Home Office Receipts 3. Rental Income/Expense Statements 4. Unreimbursed Work Expense Receipts
My focus is to best understand the goals and visions of my clients, ensuring
all decisions are made with a wealth of information and the necessary tools for
a successful, rewarding experience.
I have found my Slice of Heaven I look
forward to you finding yours! KathyDecker@exitkingrealtygroup.com Have Questions? Call Me 941-544-7270
I enjoy walking the warm sandy beaches, swimming and watching the magnificent sunsets on Florida’s Gulf Coast. Thirty years ago I came from Michigan to the Sarasota area to enjoy the beaches of the Sunshine State. The “Beach Communities” Longboat Key, Lido Key, Siesta Key and Casey Key are what draw everyone to make Sarasota their home!
Sarasota the “Cultural Capital” of Florida attracts homeowners that want more than just a beach experience. Sarasota and Manatee communities with the growth of new housing maintain their elegant but laid back style. It is a great place to make it your home to be able to enjoy lush natural environment and the amenities of a modern city.
I became a home owne r in Lakewood Ranch an award winning 17,500 acre site that provides a beautiful master planned, maintained and golf community. Get the picture: blue waters, white sand, plenty of sun, blue skies, fabulous food, casual outdoor dining, amazing fishing, play golf, boat races, music and art festivals….
My focus is to best understand the goals and visions of my clients, ensuring all decisions are made with a wealth of information and the necessary tools for a successful, rewarding experience.
I have found my “Slice of Heaven” I look forward to you finding yours!
Check Your Furnace/Air FilterDepending on the size of your house and w
"Kathy was awesome as our realtor. I have dealt with many realtors, but none as advanced and hands on with the showings. During the showings she had pointed out the flaws with the homes for us to make an educated decision. She had guided us on the different areas that would best fit our needs. Most realtors are all about the sale, but my experience with her was the exception. She went the extra mile to make sure the home you were looking for met your needs and did not push you into a home that might not be right for you.The response time was incredible, she guaranteed a phone call or answer to any question same day. Her customer service was incredible and would recommend to all of our friends and family. I have dealt with many realtors in my profession but none as as caring, knowledgeable, or efficient as her. Kathy's referrals for the inspector and mortgage process was outstanding. I would not hesitate to look forward to anyone else going forward. Best Regards, Jim Glowniak "